Editorial

This editorial is about the Sunday night before Tom Robinson’s case outside the county prison. There was a mob of white men who demanded that Atticus Finch, an attorney release Tom Robinson, a negro who was accused of the eledged rape of a white woman, so they could impose vigilante justice on him. They were stopped by the words of Atticus Finch’s 8 year old daughter Jean Louis Finch, AKA scout finch, who played to their humanity leading to the crowd’s dispersing.

This is a detrimental impact to our small-town society. This act of aggression towards this man is a blaiten disregard for the principle “innocent until proven guilty”. It is most certainly a hate crime aganst the colored community and this way of thinking is repulsive and is simply improper.

The people who have done this have their own motives for doing so. They think that what they have done is Justified because of the fact that they thought that the man was guilty for his actions because of the stereotypes that they were taught at a young age. From their perspective Tom Robinson was guilty of the unforgivable crime he was accused of.

I however do not agree with their reasons for doing this. It is true that he was accused of the crime of the rape of a white woman, though we are still yet to know whether he is guilty of this crime. He has not even received a trial yet to prove him guilty or innocent. I do not believe that the men we’re in their right minds while trying to do this and were unreasonable in their actions to impose vigilante justice.

I propose that the solution to this is to indulge in correct behavior and promoteing a non-biased and non aggressive approach when dealing with sensitive topics such as these.

Our Constitution states “all men shall be created equal”. I dare say I think we should follow it. Don’t you?